This vista gets its name from the way in which the Rhine can be seen from here, or rather the way in which it cannot be seen: hills block out most of the view of the river itself so that visitors can only see four apparently separate patches of water, rather like four lakes.
These are all actually parts of the Rhine; there are no lakes to be seen. Boppard’s town forest is the second biggest in Rhineland-Palatinate with an area of 43.6 km².
Since 1976, Boppard has consisted of ten Ortsbezirke, a special kind of municipal internal division found in some cities and towns in Rhineland-Palatinate (and also Hesse).
Each Ortsbezirk has its own council, whose head bears the title Ortsvorsteher.
Some of these Ortsbezirke even have their own Ortsteile, but these have no separate representation on any council.
Boppard’s Ortsbezirke are as follows: In the course of Julius Caesar’s conquest of Gaul and the ensuing Roman settlement of the lands on the Rhine’s left bank, there also followed the founding of Vicus Baudobriga (also Bodobriga or Bontobrica) on the way into the Mühltal (valley).
On the other hand, the river was gaining more and more importance as a supply and trade avenue.
In the mid 3rd century, the Rhine’s right bank had to be evacuated and conceded to the Germani, thereby making the Rhine the Empire’s border once more.
They had but one hope: to get rid of the pledge arrangement and reinstate the town’s lost Imperial immediacy. In 1368, he raised the sum of the pledge and promised that neither he nor his successor would allow the pledge to be redeemed.
With high hopes, the townsfolk turned in 1496 to King of the Romans (and later Holy Roman Emperor) Maximilian I, who was supporting the town in its dispute with the Elector of Trier, Johann II of Baden.
Boppard, formerly also spelled Boppart, is a town and municipality (since the 1976 inclusion of 9 neighbouring villages, Ortsbezirken) in the Rhein-Hunsrück-Kreis (district) in Rhineland-Palatinate, Germany, lying in the Rhine Gorge, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The town is also a state-recognized tourism resort (Fremdenverkehrsort) and is a winegrowing centre.
In 13, Emperor Heinrich VII pledged Boppard along with its outlying lands to his brother, Archbishop Baldwin of Trier.